Monday, February 2, 2015

I'll See You on the Other Side

“He doesn’t have much longer,”
the nurses informed us.
They remained a respectable distance,
but somehow, still too close. 
“It’s time to say good-bye,”
they said, 
taking a step back 
to allow more room. 

I clutched on tight 
to my mothers hand, 
hoping if I squeezed tight enough,
and shut my eyes hard- 
the moment we were in
would turn out to be  
a horrible nightmare. 

My pop pop wasn’t sick. 
I had just spoken to him on the phone.
He ensured me everything was fine.
The surgery went well, 
and he was at home, recovering.
We laughed, and I told him 
I knew he was a fighter. 
I told him, even though we were states apart,
if he ever got scared, 
to shut his eyes, and know I was thinking about him.
The school year was coming to an end,
and after my tests were through, 
mom and I were moving south 
to be closer to Nanny and Pop Pop.

I wasn’t there then, but
I was there in spirit. All of the time.
He ensured me everything was fine.
It made perfect sense to me:
the source of my strength was
one hell of a fighter. 

He ensured me everything was fine, 
but I still called everyday.
I kept him on the phone as long as I could,
trying my best to make him laugh. 

He would give me a five minute warning:
Judge Judy was on at four, 
he never missed it. 

Our calls got shorter, 
his responses slower. 
But, I still called everyday.
“I will get on a plane right now,”
I warned him.
“I love you,” he said.
“You have school.”

I got on a plane the next day.

My pop pop lay 
in a hospital bed in the sun room,
light shining on his face 
from every direction.
So fragile, yet still so handsome.
So peaceful, yet still so stubborn.
My pop pop.
What happened?

I sat beside his bed for three days.
I held his hand, and told him stories.
I watched Judge Judy, 
and told her she was out of line, 
just like he would often do.
The nurses would rub my back, 
suggesting it was time for bed.
Angrily, I waved them off. 
I didn’t need sleep, 
but to stay right here. 
I hoped he wasn’t scared.

I waited until everyone had left
the room before I cried.

“He doesn’t have much longer,”
the nurses informed us.
They remained a respectable distance,
but somehow, still too close. 
“It’s time to say good-bye,”
they said, 
taking a step back 
to allow more room. 

I didn’t understand the concept.
I wouldn’t say good-bye.
Saying good-bye meant accepting.
Saying good-bye held a sense of finality.
Saying good-bye meant good-bye.
I was stubborn, too, 
I wouldn’t say good-bye.

“Please,”
I whispered desperately through the tears, 
“Don’t leave me.”
“I need you here.”

As soon as I uttered the words, 
I saw the peace my Pop Pop held. 
He had accepted it, 
I was the only one left.
I was stubborn, 
not selfish.

I grabbed his hand. 
“I promise to take care of mom,”
I started. 
“Nanny will be tough, 
but I will keep her in line, too.”
I kissed him goodnight.
“I’ll see you on the other side.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment