Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Societal Pressure Will Drown Us All

As a writer, lover of fashion, and sometimes media, I feel like this needed to be said. I haven’t seen it said yet, so I thought I would take it upon myself to be the first.
Lately; I’m thinking the pressure society places on us, will eventually kill us all given enough time.
            I’m not talking literally, I’m fully aware and accepting of the fact that we will all eventually die when it is our time.
            I mean I feel like our society has become one giant middle school, and no one can seem to graduate. Remember in middle school when you would be ostracized by your “friends” if you weren’t wearing Hollister jeans? Yeah, me too. And, that really sucked because, I have a big butt, and a size seven butt doesn’t fit into Hollister jeans. Plus, my size seven but didn’t want to be suffocated in Hollister jeans, anyway.
            More and more, we’re morphing into one exercise crazed, collar-bone obsessed, and vegan loving generation. Have any of us ever stopped to think do we actually like these things, or do we like it because, that’s all that we see in magazines?
            Just yesterday, I was scrolling through Instagram, and I saw a picture of a model, who was very skinny but, healthy. You know how some people naturally have small frames? On this picture were a wide range of comments from, “Oh My God, ew. She needs to put some meat on those bones!” “Eat A Cheeseburger!” “Perfect body.”
            One comment really disturbed me and stuck with me.
            “She has the perfect body. Like oh my god. I should just stop eating now, so I can look like this.”
            No. No. No. No.
            I clicked on the girl’s picture, and she looked just like me. A beautiful healthy weight. Which I take pride in being. I don’t need you to see my bones, unless you’re my doctor, and you’re looking at them on an x-ray.
            In this situation, I’m not sure who is at fault. Perhaps, one person is not entirely at fault, but, it’s a package deal.
            The media & businesses- I think it’s time that stores start using real women in their ads. Why is the media brainwashing girls to believe that the ideal body is one that is detrimental to our health? We were not made to have gaps between our thighs, or collarbones so distinct they could carve a turkey. We idealize this “dream” body that we all exhaust ourselves trying to achieve. How about instead of putting all our time into changing our bodies, we focus on loving the bodies we were given? Embrace your flaws. Everyone has them. If we were all made the same, this world would be a boring place, and fashion would not exist at all.
            Businesses that say that their clothes are exclusive for certain types of women, and banned for others should not be publicized at all. If you’re branding revolves around making people feel bad about themselves, you need a new marketing strategy. It’s not working for you.
            Parents: Encourage your kids! Growing up, my mom wanted to make sure my sister and I never had any issues with self-esteem. We both went through phases where we felt like we had to shop where all the “cool” kids where shopping, and look like the images on the TV. She ensured us that it was ok to shop wherever we wanted. And the bodies we were given are perfect the way they are, flaws and all.

             

No comments:

Post a Comment